Thursday, July 16, 2009

.I-IV.

I

"Wake up, Violet!"

II

"Violet? Sweetheart?"

III

"Violet!"

IV

"...huh...?"
"We're almost there, pumpkin!"
Violet groggily opened one eye.
It certainly didn't seem like they had gotten any where from where they were five minutes ago.
But then again, when you're lying down in your brother's car, you can only see the sky, and all the bits of sky look the same...
"Are you drifting off again, Violet?"
That was Lee.
She was Violet's brother's girlfriend, and she called everyone 'sweetheart' or 'pumpkin' or 'dearie' or something else and always wore beads and string in her hair.
"No...I'm just...waking up..." Violet did her best to stretch. "How long's it been?"
"Four hours, I think. And you slept the whole way through..." Lee said, before stopping and grinning a very broad and slightly sheepish grin.
Violet raised an eyebrow.
"What?" she asked, puzzled.
Lee, obviously struggling to contain it in the first place, burst out in a fit of giggles.
Now Violet was not only puzzled, she was getting slightly annoyed as well.
"What's so..."
She stopped.
She felt her forehead.
"...funny..."
And she pulled off a pink 'Do Not Disturb' sticker.
There was silence.
"...you weren't joking..."
Everyone exploded in peals of raucous laughter there and then.
"If you need anything, just yell, okay?" called out Kail - Violet's brother - from the driver's seat.
"Okay."
"Brill. I'll turn the radio on, shall I?"

After that, nobody really spoke, asides from Lee commenting, "This really is in the middle of nowhere..."
And, to be quite frank, it was.
All Violet could see was field, field, field, more field and a bit of forest over there.
It was very boring.
"Lee?"
"Yeah?"
"It's not too long, is it? Till we're there, I mean?"
"Only an hour or so, love."
Violet groaned loudly and sunk even deeper into her seat with a loud harumph'.
Lee chuckled.
"Aw, chickie!" she exclaimed, laughing. "And I thought Kail was the groucho!"
"Lee...." Kail hissed, sounding stern but breaking into a smile.
And they both burst out laughing again.
Good for them, Violet thought. She stuck her tongue out at no-one in particular and flopped back down into her temporary pillow.
It was quite fun, staring at the sky.
The sun was setting. They wouldn't be there till after dark, it was clear.
Funny, Violet said to herself, when the sun is setting, it looks like it's rising at the same time...
She could feel her eyes closing again.
I wonder if there'll be stars...

1 comment:

  1. I love it C: Had to read it twice-- cus..um, I didn't understand it..at first. *snicker*
    Dude, Anna..you can draw any of my stories *bows down*. I love acting them out in my head, with all the exaggerated exppressions and hand gestures, etc x)

    ReplyDelete